Saturday, August 20, 2016

Weakened in the Weekends?

Finally, I get a free weekend to tell you about my last few busy weekends. Since I am a hostel-resident, sweeping and cleaning the room, washing clothes, studying programming in C and going to the bank, before writing this still counts as a free weekend. The best thing about a weekend is that I can wake up at 9 and not worry about missing a class. However, by the time I reached the mess, all the hot dosas were gone and I had to content myself with butter toasts.

The story of my weekends begins on Friday, the 22th of July. I was still in Belgaum. I would be in Chennai, for just the second time in my life, in 3 days. I had to buy things. I had to pack things. I was in a frenzy. I even had to meet my friends, for I wouldn't meet them in another 6 months. Though I didn't buy everything nor pack them properly, I did meet my friends that day. I had to leave home on Saturday. Even until two hours before my estimated time of departure, I wasn't sure of what I would take and what I'd leave behind. Dad and I did leave on time and reached Chennai on Sunday afternoon. The frenzy hadn't died just yet. I bought shoes and other stuff. The next day, we visited the campus that would be my home for the next 5 years; cleaned the room, set it up, bought a set of mattress and pillow, and awaited the orientations that would follow throughout the week. And for a fact, I still didn't know who my roommate was. (That is a story for another time)

IITM has a five day week, with Saturdays and Sundays off. But, I was wrong to expect that the weekend will be uneventful. On Saturday, the 30th, Sathi had organized a Treasure Hunt for us Freshies. We were divided into groups of 20, and given 18 clues that led to different places in our campus. We had to decipher the clue, go to the place, and take a group selfie there with at least 10 of us in the frame. Our team did manage to decipher the clues and complete the task, but it was tiring running and cycling for 5-10 kilometres around the campus. Surprisingly, the purpose of the Treasure Hunt was different altogether, and Sathi succeeded in their purpose. At the end of the day, I had many new friends and new many of the places on campus.


The clues were interesting. For example, the first  clue was 'CULT without a cup.' In insti, cup stands for U grade (fail). This led to CLT or the Central Lecture Theater.

That night, I also watched my first movie, X-MEN: Apocalypse, in the Open Air Theater, in the rain.

Next Friday and Saturday, we were given an introduction to all the cultural clubs on campus at the Club Weekender. We were introduced to the following clubs, in no particular order; thespian, quiz, writing, word games, music, media, choreo, fine arts, comedy, oratory, the fifth estate, and informals clubs. Naturally, I was attracted to quiz, word games, and writing clubs. We had buzzer rounds and I won a few munches! Then we had some fun at the word games club. We played games like Russian Doll. In the end, I reached the writing club, and that is where I wrote corners, and began blogging again.

There were many orientations in the week, but last weekend was quite insignificant. The only big thing I did last weekend was make the plan for this piece. Today, we did a lot more. In the evening, we had a session by Shastra 2017 about virtual reality and augmented reality. We got to experience virtual reality using the OnePlus Loop VR Headsets. And tomorrow I am participating in the Terry Fox Run. So, wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment